I’m now a third of the way through my / “our” first weekly set of prompts helping me endeavor to be effortful + experimentational (as described in Try 101: The Manifesto).
Here’s this week’s creative
Prep + Mise en Place
(1) Write a list of 30 things you love right now. If you’re feeling generous, share your list in the comments section. I’d love to see what you love right now.
(2) For your journal or commonplace:
- Time for your creative preoccupations again. Make a list of your current Preoccupations. Persons, places, things, activities that have a hold on your mind, body, spirit, and/or imagination.
- Do a short, focused free write (aka: riff + fill) about one of these preoccupations.
(3) Here’s this week’s (nonfiction) prompt:
- Travel Essay. Write an essay about a trip to some noteworthy place that’s
foreign to you. Keep in mind that “noteworthy” is a bendy term. A lobster
festival in Maine is noteworthy. Paris is noteworthy. So is Andalusia,
If You’re Bored or Stuck
- Open the dictionary to a random page and read every entry. Write
a journal entry using the most interesting dictionary entry as a
All of these prompts (and then some) are to be found in the Try 101 syllabus, an open-source plan for living your most creative life. I’m taking the next year to complete the syllabus and share the results. I’d love to have some company along the way!