I’m excited to be working with some of the writers from the Hampden Writer’s Group over the next few weeks. The title of the workshop is “Tell It Slant: Real Life as Raw Material for Good Fiction.” (You can register via Eventbrite here.) We’ll be generating a lot of new material together, but we’ll also be reading exemplary texts. Here are a few for us to consider right out of the gate:
For this evening (10/20):
- “Invent a New Creation Myth” + “Spelling It Out” by Abigail Thomas (from Safekeeping: Some True Stories from a Life)
- “LZ Gator, Vietnam, February 1994” by Tim O’Brien (from In Short: A Collection of Brief Creative Nonfiction)
- “Four Skinny Trees” by Sandra Cisneros (from The House on Mango Street)
For next week (10/27):
- “The Half-Known World” by Robert Boswell (from The Half-Known World: On Writing Fiction)
- “Round Trip” by John D’Agata (from Halls of Fame)
3 thoughts on ““Tell It Slant” Workshop Reading Material: Week 1 + Week 2”
That looks like a really cool workshop. Looks like it already left the station though if it starts tonight.
Keep me posted on things like this.
Richard Ellett Mullin 1448 North Edgewater Dr. Charleston, SC 29407 843-830-8093 email@example.com http://www.mullinwriter.com/
Hi Rick! Will do. Pretty sure you could join us for next week. I’ll check with the organizers and get back to you!
Update: here’s the registration link. You can sign up for upcoming individual sessions or all of them: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tell-it-slant-writing-what-you-know-tickets-177543847427?aff=odeimcmailchimp&mc_eid=9e8fc5caf9&mc_cid=7e483216d6